Mykola Stetsenko AVELLUM’s managing partner, was elected to the Management Board of the Ukrainian Bar Association (“UBA”). The election of the new UBA management for 2021-2023 was held on 2 July 2021 at the regular meeting of the Association’s Legal Assembly.
The full list of members of the new UBA Management Board can be found at this link.
In his election program, Mykola Stetsenko emphasised that he sees the following areas of focus of the UBA:
- Boost the influence of the UBA and its role in the life of the Ukrainian legal market through the promotion of professional ethics
- Expand UBA’s function in the area of drafting and review of draft laws
- Transform the UBA into the main platform for professional discussion of legislative initiatives
- Facilitate UBA’s cooperation with international lawyers and attorneys organizations, including the International Bar Association (IBA) and the American Bar Association (ABA)
- Cooperate with Ukrainian business associations and chambers of commerce, and arrange with them joint activities related to legislative and regulatory initiatives
- Boost the role of the UBA committees
- Involve the representatives of foreign law firms in Ukraine in active participation in the UBA
- Increase the number of UBA’s educational activities and initiatives for students and young members of the UBA
Mykola is a member of the UBA’s Council of the Corporate Law and Stock Market Committee since 2014. In 2017-2018 Mykola was a member of the Public Council of the Antimonopoly Committee of Ukraine.
Mykola Stetsenko is often involved in the drafting of laws or reforming of Ukraine’s legislation. In particular, Mykola was heavily engaged in the drafting of the Law of Ukraine “On Amendments to Certain Legislative Acts of Ukraine Related to Raising of the Level of Corporate Governance in Joint Stock Companies”, including during the drafting of regulations on shareholders agreements, limited liability companies, corporate governance in public companies, and squeeze-out and sell-out mechanisms. Mykola pays special attention to complex multi-jurisdictional transactions throughout his legal career, which in some cases served as the basis for setting new precedents in the market and have been recognised by international legal directories, including Chambers, IFLR, and The Legal 500.
Posted on July 2, 2021